Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Papermaking

                                   I got an order for yellow paper

                                                                           

                             The dye is made from yellow flowers
                             I made her sample strengths to choose from

                        After the cotton is cooked to break it down it is blended in the colored water
                     
                                      The pulp is made from the cotton plant and dyed


                                                                         

It is strained and blended back several times in the same water 
It is then put in the vat and this dilutes the color a little 
So it is a bit like a science lab








Then the sheets are pulled on to felts and stacked 
Each sheet is sprinkled with crystal sand and glitter 

It is then put in the hydraulic press over night 


It is then hung on hangers to dry
I didn't get a photo of the yellow drying but her second order is green with sage and I did get that photo



Once dry   it goes through the Gemini


Then it is cut to size



Goes throught the Gemini two more times

Finished sheets






                   



11 comments:

  1. LOVE this super-interesting post, Lis! I have always been fascinated with papermaking. When I first got acquainted with you and your blog (waaaay back in the MFP days!! lol..), I was enchanted with the cards you made from your own handcrafted paper. I am so delighted to see your process detailed here and the lovely finished product. Wow...so cool!! Thank you for sharing the fabulous photographs.
    <3 J

    jwoolbright at gmail dot com
    HerPeacefulGarden.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am at peace with my hands in the vat . I make cards so there is a reason to make more paper

      Delete
  2. WOW love seeing your process and the finished product -amazing
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless you've done it there is no other way to know how involved it is and how much equipment is needed . It makes me veery happy to make paper ...........Lis

      Delete
  3. Oh wow the paper looks beautiful!!! Where does someone go to order from you? I’m going to be making my daughter a very special memory book so I would love to have some of your beautiful handmade papers to use in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea making paper was such a process, and I'd imagine there are very few who take the time to do this! TFS how you make these incredible papers - it's a work of love and they must be wonderful to work with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely feel to handle the sheets both wet and dry ,.........Lis

      Delete
  5. Lis I wished I'd seen the process when we visited, looks amazing x

    ReplyDelete
  6. We could have done it but you would have had to stay longer

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. I appreciate all your comments